Connecticut Bicycle Accident Attorneys Champion Injured Riders’ Rights
Personal injury lawyers serving Hamden and East Haven fight for monetary compensation
Connecticut is a beautiful state for sightseeing and one of the best ways to enjoy our scenic countryside is on a bicycle. Cycling is also an excellent form of exercise and a low-cost, clean mode of commuting. But some of the state’s roads and busy urban intersections can be hazardous for cyclists, especially when drivers aren’t alert. A negligent driver can cause a cyclist severe, lasting injuries. At Gesmonde, Pietrosimone & Sgrignari, L.L.C., our personal injury attorneys provide the skilled and aggressive representation that injured cyclists need to obtain the compensation they deserve.
Common causes of bicycle accidents
There are numerous reasons why bicycle accidents occur. When motorists are at fault, a collision may be caused by one of the following:
- Crowding or attempting to pass a cyclist on a narrow roadway
- Turning abruptly into a bike lane
- Opening a car door as a bike approaches, known as dooring
- Tailgating a cyclist
- Driving too quickly through a congested area
- Failure to yield right of way
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
In addition, the state or a municipality might be at fault for accidents resulting from unreasonably dangerous intersections with poor sight lines or from poor road conditions. Some roadways have not been updated to make passage safe for all users, including pedestrians and cyclists.
Common bicycle accident injuries in Connecticut
Cyclists can sustain severe injuries from an initial impact with a vehicle and a secondary impact with the hard surface of the street. Common injuries that can result include the following:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injury
- Neck and back injuries, such as compressed and herniated discs, broken vertebrae and pinched nerves
- Spinal cord trauma, including paralysis
- Dislocated joints, especially shoulders
- Bone fractures
- Skin punctures, lacerations, and road rash
In some collisions, cyclists suffer catastrophic injuries, which bring permanent disability and chronic pain. Our attorneys have ample experience in managing every conceivable injury, even those requiring compensation to cover a lifetime of ongoing care.
Important bicycle safety tips for Connecticut riders
A bicyclist’s recovery of financial compensation after an accident depends in part on their riding safely and responsibly. A monetary award can be reduced if the biker’s negligence was a contributing cause of the accident or of the degree of injuries suffered. Bicyclists should follow these essential safety rules:
- Always wear a helmet. A helmet won’t prevent an accident but it can spare you fatal or disabling head injuries.
- Make yourself highly visible by wearing bright colors that contrast with your surroundings. Add lights and reflectors to your bike.
- Use extra caution at dusk or dawn, when you are least visible to motorists.
- Choose your route based on safety, avoiding congested areas whenever possible.
- Use extra caution on poorly maintained roads and where there is sand on the shoulders, which can cause bike wheels to lose traction.
- Maintain your equipment and check your bike thoroughly before riding.
- Watch out for blind turns where drivers will have trouble seeing you.
- Ride defensively, obeying all traffic rules.
Remember, the most important objective in any bike ride is to return home safely.
Contact our determined New Haven County bicycle accident lawyers for your case
Gesmonde, Pietrosimone & Sgrignari, L.L.C. in East Haven and Hamden represents victims of bicycle accidents throughout Connecticut. To set up a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer, please call 203-745-0942 or contact us online.