Slip and Fall Lawyers in Hamden and East Haven CTWork to Maximize Compensation for Clients
Connecticut attorneys represent victims in premises liability claims
Businesses and homeowners have a legal responsibility to keep their premises safe for visitors whom they welcome onto their property. However, failures to take reasonable safety measures frequently lead to slip and fall injuries suffered by guests. Gesmonde, Pietrosimone & Sgrignari, L.L.C. aggressively advocates for Connecticut victims in premises liability actions in order to secure reimbursement for medical bills and other damages caused by defendants’ negligence. Whether your particular injury stems from a spill that wasn’t cleaned up, an unsafe walking surface or a hard-to-see hazard, we will press to obtain a suitable financial recovery through a verdict or settlement.
Dedicated advocates strive to hold negligent property owners accountable
If you’ve been hurt after an accident on residential or commercial premises, the property owner’s lawyer or insurance carrier might try to push you toward a fast settlement. Before you give up your rights, it’s important to understand your legal options and how much you might receive in a verdict or settlement. We can provide a thorough, accurate assessment of your potential case because of our knowledge of key issues in slip and fall litigation, such as:
- Causes — Slip and fall accidents can occur nearly anywhere, but are frequently caused by damaged floors, untended spills, surfaces that are slick due to weather and obstacles that are difficult to see. If you’ve been hurt in this type of incident, getting the medical attention you need is most important. If you’re in a condition to gather information, you should take pictures of the scene and collect the names of any witnesses to the accident.
- Common injuries — Many types of harm are linked to slip and fall incidents, including broken bones, back injuries, ligament damage and trauma to the head and neck. Whatever type of medical problems you’re experiencing, our determined litigators will work to achieve a result that fully accounts for your healthcare expenses and other costs.
- Liability — Property owners are typically liable when someone has fallen due to an unsafe condition that should have been rectified. However, we also pursue relief from other parties whose negligence might have caused the injury. Maintenance companies, property management firms and even the manufacturers of defective floors could also be brought in as defendants.
- Compensation — In premises liability claims and other types of personal injury actions, victims can recover reimbursement for economic expenses such as medical bills, income lost while out of work, damage to property (if your phone was broken or jewelry was lost during your fall) and rehabilitation costs. You might also be entitled to noneconomic damages to compensate you for your pain and suffering, mental anguish and any disfigurement stemming from the injury.
- Comparative fault — Frequently, defendants and their representatives will try to evade their legal responsibility by blaming the victim for their fall. Even if you think you were partly at fault because you were looking at your phone or had an untied shoelace, you can still collect damages under Connecticut law. In situations where fault is shared, a plaintiff is entitled to compensation as long as the percentage of responsibility assigned to them is 50 percent or less. Verdicts in these cases are reduced in proportion to the plaintiff’s fault. For example, a slip and fall victim who incurs $100,000 in damages but is found to be 20 percent responsible for their injury will receive a judgment of $80,000.
No matter the particular details in your slip and fall case, we provide the sound advice and aggressive advocacy that you deserve.
Contact a dedicated injury lawyer if you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall accident
Gesmonde, Pietrosimone & Sgrignari, L.L.C. litigates Connecticut cases arising from slip and fall injuries. Please call 203-745-0942 or contact us online for a consultation. We have offices in East Haven and Hamden.