Connecticut Birth Injury Law Firm Represents Infants and Families
Birth injury lawyers in Hamden and East Haven seek compensation from negligent providers
Bringing a child into the world should be a joyous event for any family, but anticipation can turn to anguish when a medical error causes harm to the baby or its mother. At Gesmonde, Pietrosimone & Sgrignari, L.L.C. in Hamden and East Haven, our medical malpractice attorneys understand the pain of birth injuries. We draw on decades of experience assisting Connecticut clients to provide compassionate and highly professional representation as we pursue the full compensation you deserve.
What is a birth injury?
A compensable birth injury occurs when an infant and/or mother is harmed during delivery due to a healthcare provider’s negligent act or omission. As in other types of medical malpractice cases, the injured parties are entitled to compensation for their injuries. However, the mere fact of an injury is not enough to justify a claim. As your attorneys, we must prove by a preponderance of the evidence that a healthcare provider made a mistake that demonstrates substandard care, and that the mistake led directly to the injuries. This is a complex task, which is why you should only choose a proven attorney to represent you.
Common types of birth injuries in Connecticut
Giving birth always includes an element of risk for the mother and baby. Fortunately, modern medicine has made the delivery process relatively safe. However, when mistakes are made prior to and during delivery, severe medical problems can result. These include:
- Cerebral palsy — Mishandled delivery is among the many possible causes of this traumatic brain injury which has lifelong consequences for a child, including impaired motor skills, muscle spasticity and difficulty speaking.
- Brain injury — Complications during delivery can cause a drop in the infant’s blood oxygen. The resulting hypoxia (insufficient oxygen) or anoxia (no oxygen) can cause permanent brain injury and even death.
- Erb’s palsy and brachial plexus injuries — Shoulder dystocia occurs when an infant’s shoulder impacts the mother’s pelvic bone during delivery. Poor management of this complication can cause trauma to the nerve network connecting the spinal cord to the shoulder, causing loss of function.
- Hemorrhaging — Excessive bleeding can cause the mother to go into shock with potentially deadly consequences.
No matter what type of injury your child suffered, we have the skill and resources to present a detailed legal argument.
What are the causes of birth injuries?
There are numerous causes of birth injuries, including poor nutrition and disease. To recover compensation, the injury must have been caused by substandard medical care. Common errors that lead to birth injuries include:
- Failure to diagnose and treat a dangerous condition
- Failure to order a C-section when medically indicated
- Failing to induce labor when medically indicated
- Medication and anesthesia errors
- Misuse of birthing devices, such as vacuums and forceps
We consult reliable medical experts who can review your records to determine whether medical malpractice caused your injury, then we fight to hold negligent caregivers accountable.
Fighting for the compensation victims and their families deserve
A birth injury has the potential to be permanently disabling. That means a victim might be entitled to a lifetime’s worth of compensation, which can include:
- Medical expenses and home accommodations attributable to the injury
- Economic losses from being unable to work
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Personal care and other expenses associated with disability
No one who has suffered due to medical negligence should also have to face financial hardship. As your advocates, we are determined to recover the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Contact a proven Connecticut lawyer to schedule a free birth injury consultation
Experienced medical malpractice lawyers at Gesmonde, Pietrosimone & Sgrignari, L.L.C. represent Connecticut clients in a wide range of birth injury claims. To schedule a free consultation, please call 203-745-0942 or contact us online. We have offices in Hamden and East Haven.